Thursday, January 26, 2012

Harcourt Storytown activities and Freebies!

It's been nice hearing from a few people who also use the Harcourt Storytown reading series! It doesn't seem like there are many of us on here! :)

If you follow the series, you know about review weeks. I HATE them! We teach/review the same skill for two weeks as it is. Then....every five weeks there is a review lesson where we teach them all over again. I guess it is good for students to get more practice but I get so bored! Next week is one of those weeks so I am trying to create some activities to make the week a little more exciting!

So far, all I have managed to make are these games/stations for reviewing silent letters. I just listed them on TPT. Click here to check them out.


Click here for a freebie I have TPT with a vocabulary match and spelling words for the pocket chart (Lesson 20).

For spelling last week, we worked on frequently misspelled words. Click here to to see the unit. It includes a concentration game, tic-tac-toe game, words for the pocket chart and ABC order worksheet. Click here for a freebie from the unit.


I'm so excited to have 40 followers! :) Check back soon for a giveaway to celebrate! I'm still trying to decide what to actually give away!

4 comments:

  1. We have StoryTown, too! I actually really love the curriculum, although the first grade is slightly different from the second grade. We don't have those big review weeks like you guys have. But last year I taught the 2nd grade reading, and I HATED those weeks, so I can definitely feel your pain.

    Natalie

    Teachery Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I understand. The thing I like about them is the reader's theaters. The kids usually like choosing and reading a certain part.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Latricia!! I saw where you are a follower over at my little blog so I headed over and WOW, I am YOUR newest follower! I LOVE your blog background. I also teach 2nd grade (probably pretty obvious ;) )

    Stacy

    2nd Grade Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm going into my 2nd year of Storytown. I am grateful for the review weeks. I don't feel my 7/8 year olds understand the skills well enough after only two weeks, which might include a day off for some holiday...

    My question is, do you all test on Friday or do you go 5 days and test? The past year I tried to get it all done M-F and test on the last day of the week. Doesn't seem fair to the kids, but wasn't sure what everyone else does.

    would love to hear from all...

    daugherty @ uneedspeed (dot) net

    ReplyDelete